Friday, November 16, 2007

What is Social Media?

Frankly, I don't know. I hear about it, I read about it, it seems to be everywhere. Lots of people who are a lot smarter than me, like Jeff Pulver, have lot lot to say about it. But I'm still not sure what it really is, or more precisely, what is it to me? And how does it affect me and why should I care?

Maybe social media is just something as simple as any tool or technology that allows for interactive communication between two or more people. I'll keep searching for an answer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been wondering the same thing, although I have my own spin, maybe it is my own dream!

I see you are a Alabama football fan. I went to Duke and I'm a big Duke basketball fan. The social media (not sure if the idea really fits here) idea is to watch my college sports team with alumni friends. Interactions would be via a hierarchical audio conference - could be text chat as well. You'd sit with your alumni friends, watch the event, and yell at the other team!
Maybe this is more social viewing - could use this for any event - a concert, a lecture, a show, etc.